The Wells Scholars Program uses a nomination rather than an application process for the selection of Scholars. This applies to incoming freshmen and current IU Bloomington undergraduates. For specific instructions, please visit our Domestic, International, or Internal nomination process pages.
There is no one strict model of an award recipient: however, past successful nominees have typically:
- Shown exceptional qualities of character and leadership
- Been significantly involved in extracurricular activities
- Demonstrated a concern for their community
- Excelled in terms of class rank, GPA, and/or (optional*) standardized test scores
- Expressed interest in joining a community of scholarly individuals with diverse interests beyond a pre-professional track
Put simply, following the ideals of Herman B Wells, we’re not interested in students who see a brilliant career as their primary goal. We are looking for Scholars who want to contribute and make an impact on their community, the nation, and the world. They will encounter like-minded Scholars in our program and will forge lifelong friendships. If you have any questions about the suitability of a candidate you are considering for a nomination, feel free to reach out to Wells Scholars Program Director Professor Christoph Irmscher at firstname.lastname@example.org.